Lisbon’s Se Cathedral was built on the site where cult buildings have been built for several centuries. At first, there was a Roman temple that was transformed into a church in the 6th century. A few centuries later, the Moors built a mosque there that remained there until the 12th century. After the siege and liberation of Lisbon from the Moors, the mosque was destroyed and the Se cathedral of Lisbon was built in its place.
The cathedral building looks like a fortress. Two large massive belfries have loopholes for archery. The towers were also used as observation posts during wartime. The thick walls were completely devoid of windows in their lower parts, making Lisbon Cathedral invulnerable to enemy attacks. It is thanks to its powerful walls that the cathedral withstood the great force of the 1755 earthquake.
The main part of the medieval building has been preserved, requiring minor modifications and a slight restoration. A large rosette, a massive entrance portal with round edges, twin towers with a beautiful arcade of upper tiers now adorn the western facade of the building.
The interior of the cathedral is dark and austere. The interior gallery houses nine Gothic chapels where the remains of great Portuguese figures are preserved, including King Alfonso IV and his wife Beatrice.
At the entrance to the cathedral on the left, there is a small chapel where the future Franciscan monk Saint Anthony was baptized. The cathedral treasury houses priestly garments, silverware, sculptures, medieval manuscripts and sacred relics.
Visit the city of Lisbon